It’s undoubtedly been a fantastic year for sport and not least football. We asked our writers and friends ten questions that we hoped would sum up 2012 and offer a wide range of memories on the year past. Happy New Year!
1. Favourite moment
2. Favourite player
3. Favourite euro 2012 moment
4. Favourite goal
5. Favourite match
6. Young player
7. Breakthrough team
8. Joey barton moment
9. Favourite album
10. Favourite gig
Andrew Belt – Andrew is co-editor of the False Nine and writes for a number of rugby league publications.
1. Aguero vs. QPR
2. Andrea Pirlo
3. Balotelli reaction to his explosive strike v Germany – with the way his career is going, will this be his international highlight?
4. Ibrahimovic v England
5. Live: Leeds 1-5 Chelsea (For first half & valiant effort from Whites with great crowd) TV: Reading 5-7 Arsenal
6. Victor Moses
7. Can’t choose between Shakhtar & Borussia Dortmund
8. Threatening to sue Martin Samuel for an outrageous DM article and referring to him as Jim Royle
9. The Maccabees – Given to the Wild
10. The Shins, Hammersmith Apollo
James Dutton – James is co-editor of the False Nine and is a sports correspondent for wrexham.com
1. Andy Carroll winner v Everton in FA Cup semi final – cult hero forever.
2. Andrés Iniesta.
3. Watching Spain torment Italy in Kiev.
4. Suarez from halfway line at Norwich.
5. Man City 3-2 QPR
6. El Shaarawy at Milan – second best haircut in football behind Marek Hamsik
7. Borussia Dortmund on European stage.
8. Fielding questions from Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight – how/when did he become a moralising spokesman for football?
9. Tame Impala – Lonerism
10. The xx at 02 Academy Leeds
Hugo Greenhalgh – Hugo is co-editor of the False Nine and is Sports Editor of Leeds Student.
1. Thierry Henry vs. Leeds…goosebumps.
2. Radamel Falcao, but also Francesco Totti who has shown this season that the King of Rome is very much still alive.
3. Meeting Matt Holland in Gdansk or going to Ireland vs. Italy in Poznan.
4. Lacina Traore, vs. Liverpool
5. Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham, February 2012.
6. Lewis Holtby
7. Montpellier for the first half of the year, Shaktar Donetsk for the second.
8. Taking the ‘holier than thou’ approach of doing his pre-season training at Fleetwood Town.
9. Kendrick Lamar – good kid, m.A.A.d city
10. The Weeknd at Wilton Music Hall
Jack Trewin – Jack is web editor of the False Nine and in his first year at the University of Exeter.
1. Spain proving me wrong in the Euro 2012 final
3. Greece’s win over Russia
4. Van Persie winner vs City
5. Chelsea 3-3 United
6. Xherdan Shaqiri
7. West Brom 12/13
8. When he left England. Was pretty funny on twitter though talking about Shearer: “But I have better hair (which is not hard), wear well better shirts on TV and have a personality (something u lack).”
9. Kendrick Lamar- good kid, m.A.A.d city. Or Ondatropica – Self-Titled / the xx – coexist
10. Stevie Wonder – Bestival
Kyle Hulme – Kyle is Italian correspondent for the False Nine and also writes for Leeds Student.
1. Watching the faces of the Manchester United fans when news came through of Aguero’s goal
2. Andrea Pirlo
3. Pirlo’s pass and Di Natale’s finish vs. Spain
4. Mirko Vucinic vs. Milan in the cup
5. Probably Reading – Arsenal 5-7
6. Sam Byram/Tom Ince
7. Juventus – from mediocrity to unbeaten
8. Tweeting after a poor Rob Green performance “Bloody hell green where are you hands?”
9. Joey Bada$$ “1999” or The Gaslight Anthem “Handwritten”. Maybe Alt J as well.
10. Scroobius Pip spoken word at the Brudenell
Michael David – Michael is tactical analyst for the False Nine.
1. Zambia winning ACOF/ Spain 4-0 Italy
2. Lionel Messi
3. Danny Welbeck backheel vs. Sweden
4. Suarez control on his shoulder
5. England vs. Sweden in the Euros
6. Raheem Sterling
7. Crystal Palace
8. Tweeting: “@Joey7Barton: Don’t need people to phone up and vote to confirm my legendary status… #SPOTY” wind up.
9. Mumford and Sons – Babel
10. Ben Howard at Brixton
Joe Cummins – Joe is an Arsenal season ticket-holder and long-term admirer of the False Nine.
1. Marton Fulop’s performance on the final day of the 2011/12 season.
2. Santi Cazorla
3. Andrea Pirlo’s penalty
4. RvP vs Everton or Messi vs Madrid where he takes it off Busquets and just beautiful touch after touch.
5. Arsenal 5-2 Spurs, both.
6. The Ox
8. Don’t have one – I hate him.
9. Flo Rida – Wild Ones
Oliver Swift – Oliver is a long-suffering Leeds fan, Danish football expert and editor of Three Sets.
1. Gervinho’s all-round contribution to football
2. Andreas Cornelius (FC Copenhagen)
3. Michael Krohn-Dehli (DEN) goal v Netherlands
4. Aidy White for Leeds v Everton
5. Club Bruges 2-3 FC Copenhagen
6. Sam Byrom (Leeds)
7. FC Nordsjælland (DEN)
9. Agnes Obel, Philharmonics
10. Olympic Ceremony
John Guillem - John is editor of arts magazine Tengen and works in education.
1. So many to choose from, but I’ll go with Henry’s comeback goal.
2. Arturo Vidal.
3. Though it broke my heart at the same time, Pirlo’s panenka penalty made me squeal with delighted outrage.
4. Whilst not as sublimely skilful as some, Jordi Alba’s goal against Italy was a brilliant combination of technique, team play and gutbusting effort. Not to mention a great exhibition of Spain’s footballing philosophy.
5. There have been some mental Arsenal games, but the one I found most satisfying was Arsenal totally outplaying Man City at the Emirates, with Arteta’s brilliant strike sealing the 1-0. The whole ground doing the Poznan after was the icing on the cake.
6. I’d like to go with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, but I’ll be honest with myself and plump for Isco.
7. Malaga – much more likeable now that they don’t seem so flush. Likeable players and coach.
8. Trashing Emmanuel Frimpong’s stupid obsession with his dench neologism/brand over twitter – I particularly enjoyed him calling him a dullard.
9. good kid, m.A.A.d city – Kendrick Lamar.
10. Future of the Left at XOYO.
Harry Catharell-Hargreaves - Harry writes for The False Nine and edits Football Top 5s
1. Disbelief on Fergie’s face when he realised that City had won the league.
3. Karagounis goal v Russia to send Greece through
4. Taison, Metalist Kharkiv v Rosenborg, Europa League
5. Celtic 2 v 1 Barcelona
8. Attempting to headbutt Vincent Kompany from about 10 inches away and missing
9. Into The Diamond Sun by Stealing Sheep
10. Bruce Springsteen at Leinster’s ground in Dublin
Follow The False Nine on Twitter: @The_False_Nine